<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
 
Web www.theriverman.blogspot.com

Friday, July 27, 2007

Pro-Life, But Not Necessarily Pro-Living

(before I get into this, I would like to state, for the record, that I don’t really have a strong stance either for or against abortion. i don’t have a dog in this fight, as they say.)

Why does it seem that most of those who believe that life begins at conception don’t really seem to care about that life after its birth?

Let’s look at this for a moment, shall we?

The anti-abortion industry is a booming behemoth. Millions of dollars and thousands of hours are put into ad campaigns, sit-ins at clinics, chaining clinic doors shut, organizing marches, organizing and putting on conferences, etc.

There is enormous effort thrown behind the anti-abortion/pro-life movement by churches and individual religious people. All this money and time is spent to try to make abortions illegal. Or, in a more localized way, the effort goes to trying to drastically reduce the number and availability of abortions. Ultimately, then, the goal is to have the maximum number of children born at all times. But what about after they’re born?

I’m generalizing here, I know. But, as generalizations, they’re true.

• The PL’s don’t care about WIC
• They either don’t care or are against welfare, even for single moms
• They don’t care about the conditions of schools anywhere except the ones their kids are in.
• They don’t care about college loan rates going up and government grants going down.
• They don’t care about the many kids growing up in bad situations, with a mom who might’ve wanted an abortion.
• They don’t care that that kid exponentially more likely to:
o Do drugs
o Get pregnant
o Join a gang
o End up in jail

I know that what I just said isn't true for all pro-lifers. Many would probably chime in now and say that they really do care about the above issues. Fine, maybe they do. I can't know. But I can know that whether or not they care about the issues or not, they're not doing a thing about them. Better to buy more chain for the clinic doors I guess.

Just my 3 cents.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Is my Blog HOT or NOT?