<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
 
Web www.theriverman.blogspot.com

Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Please Tell Me Why

As we reach President Bush’s Second Inauguration, I reflect back on the first term. The standout, of course, is Iraq. Yes, I like my tax cut too, but Iraq is the big thing. Obviously.

Iraq also seems to be the reason that Bush is even getting a second term. After all the votes were tallied, the exit polls and questionnaires done, Iraq is the reason Bush was re-elected. As a country, We didn’t want to dump our President in the middle of a war. For better or worse, We were standing with him.

So here we are, one year and ten months (minus one day) from the Invasion of Iraq on March 20, 2004. I’ve seen the pictures, I’ve heard the stories. I love the guys I know who are out there fighting, and I wish nothing more than a swift decisive victory and a safe voyage home. But I cannot look at this saga without this one burning question: Why?

Why was it worth EVEN ONE American death to invade Iraq? This should be a simple question to resolve, but no answers come. As we went into war, all the “reasons” presented crumbled, even though the statues of Saddam crumbled too. There were no WMD’s, there was no threat. And yet, there stands this:

Number of Operations Iraq Freedom and Enduring Freedom casualtiesas confirmed by U.S. Central Command:

1509

One thousand, five hundred and nine of our brothers and sisters, our fathers and mothers, our friends and our countrymen, our patriots, have died. The belief that they have died in vain tears my heart out. And yet, I can find no purpose, no answer, no recompense, no reconciliation.

I ask all of you, if you have an answer, please, tell me why this war is worth so much death. I’m not trying to start an argument. I just want an honest answer. Thank you.

God bless our soldiers, sailors, airmen, and marines. And God be with the families of our fallen Patriots.

Amen
The List

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Is my Blog HOT or NOT?