<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
 
Web www.theriverman.blogspot.com

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

More Thoughts on Iraq

I believe that we will still be a strong force, if not a true occupation force, for 10 more years at least. We still have troops in Europe from WWII, and at least in Europe we were dealing with a developed society, not a tribal situation as it exists in Iraq.

Also, I don't buy the "We are fighting Saddam loyalists" business. The Iraqi people were not big supporters of Saddam for the past decade or so. Maybe they were when he first came to power. But not now. And from all our estimations, there would have to be a lot of regular Iraqis out there killing our guys. So then, if they're not fighting because they loved Saddam, then why do they fight us? Put simply, because we are there. I know if, say, my county was to be invaded by a foreign country, for whatever good or bad intention, we here would take up arms and explosives and whatever else we could find. And we would do our best to drive them out. Would we be doing this because we are all Bush Loyalists? No, we'd be doing it to defend our homeland, our families, our houses, all the people and things we love.

I believe the same is true about many of the Iraqis fighting against us. Sure, there are some left over Fedayeen types, but I believe the majority are just people trying to defend themselves. It's not like they all have TV's and are watching CNN all the time saying "hey, the Americans are here to liberate us!” For the most part, they don't have a clue about who those camouflaged guys are or why they're there. They just don't like seeing their friends and family die.

Now don't get me wrong, I am in NO way supporting the people over there killing OUR friends and families. I just don't see a reason not to be honest about motives. Ours and theirs.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Is my Blog HOT or NOT?