<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
 
Web www.theriverman.blogspot.com

Saturday, December 04, 2004

More "Abuse" Photos From Iraq Surface

Read the full story here.

Photographs showing Navy SEALs in Iraq sitting on hooded and handcuffed detainees, what appear to be bloodied prisoners, and a prisoner with a gun to his head. One photo shows a man on his back with a boot on his chest. One photo shows a man with an automatic weapon pointed at his head and a gloved thumb jabbed into his throat. Some photos seem to show blood on or about the faces of the detainees.

Maybe I'm just cold hearted, but the abovementioned photos do not seem to show torture or any illegal acts. Most I don’t even believe are improper. Now, I must clarify that I’m working on the assumption that the detainees, POW’s, enemy combatants, whatever you’d like to call them, that are in these photos are men who were captured in battled, captured while trying to kill our troops or murder our civilians in Iraq. Now, if that is not the truth and these men are innocent or simply looters, then yes, I would say these actions are inappropriate. But if they are photos of fighters trying to kill our guys, I don’t see the problem. Some say the photos were used simply for souvenirs, some say they are used as propaganda to show other enemy combatants that they should cooperate. If it’s the latter, then more power to them. If a picture can help save one of our guys or keep one unit out of a dangerous area, then keep taking pictures. If it’s the former, just being taken for kicks, I don’t think it’s great, but I don’t see a big problem. I know from talking to WWII vets that some of our guys did much worse things. And to put it in a current prospective, you’ll notice all the enemy in these photos still have heads and appear to be alive. You can’t say the same about how the animals treat our guys.

Just my 2 cents.


RM

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Is my Blog HOT or NOT?