<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
 
Web www.theriverman.blogspot.com

Wednesday, October 27, 2004

The Election

My friends, this is not going to be good. As I hope you all know, we have an election coming up next Tuesday. I don’t see any possibility of actually knowing who our next President will be on Tuesday night. I doubt we’ll know for sure Wednesday. I hope I’m wrong, but I just have a feeling this is going to be bad. Florida 2000 will seem like nothing next week. Both parties have thousands of lawyers on standby ready to fly to any city or state when needed. Leaders in both parties have said that even if they lose, they will fight to the bitter end.

Again, I hope I’m wrong, and this may seem like an extreme comment, but this election could be the greatest strain on the Union since the Confederacy. Ohio will probably be the ground zero state this year. Others will also play: Iowa, Pennsylvania, New Mexico, Wisconsin, Hawaii, New Hampshire. All of those states also pose problems for a smooth election. We have razor thin margins between the candidates in these states and nationwide.

Bush will probably take Ohio, but it will be contested. He will probably take FL as well, but it won't be as close. Kerry will take NH. And Bush will take NM and a couple other states to get to 270 or so.

This is cliché now, but we are a bitterly divided country. I ask you, why? This is not a rhetorical question. I don’t know the answer. Some would blame the media, some would blame the fact that the last few Presidential administrations have used crisis mongering and fear tactics to try to control the country. And because of this, the became very polarizing admins. Like I said, I don’t know the correct answer. I hope someone does.

I do not operate under the misapprehension that we can all be one big happy family. I do, however, hope that somehow we can overcome the bitterness and hatred and rise back up to a level of intellectual discourse in politics. Though I’m probably a bit too optimistic.

Don’t forget to vote on November 2nd. And then hold on. It’s gonna be one long, rough ride.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Is my Blog HOT or NOT?