<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
 
Web www.theriverman.blogspot.com

Saturday, June 05, 2004

Losing Reagan

Well my friends, it seems the time is drawing near. President Reagan's chapter in this story will soon be drawing to a close. My heart goes out to his family and friends.

As he is 93 years old and has had Alzheimer's for 10 years, I realize that his death is not as tragic as it would have been had he succumbed to Hinckley's bullet. However, it is always a sad and somber occasion whenever a country loses such a great man, regardless of the circumstances.

I was just born as President Reagan took office. However, by his second term, I was old enough to remember. I remember the "Evil Empire" speech. I remember "Mr. Gorbachev, tear down this wall!” These are my first political memories. And regardless which side of the aisle you favor, it's hard to debate Reagan's efficacy as president. You may not agree with everything he did, and I don't claim (as some have) that he was the greatest President we ever had. But he was good man, a regular guy, and a heck of a leader. You will be missed, sir.

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Is my Blog HOT or NOT?