<$BlogRSDURL$>
Google
 
Web www.theriverman.blogspot.com

Thursday, January 01, 2004

Elliot Smith, Dead at 34

This probably isn't news to most of you, as he died in October. However, I didn't know until I came across the story yesterday.

Smith was found dead in by his girlfriend on October 21 in the appartment in LA where they lived. The police say he committed suicide by stabbing himself in the chest. The coroner said that he died from two "penetrating stab wounds" to the chest. An odd way to kill yourself, if you ask me. Anyway, the police say the case is still open. My money is on the girlfriend.

The very talented singer/song writer achieved modest commercial success and a strong underground following in the 90's and on into the 00's. I didn't discover him until around 00 myself. Incredibly deep melodic music with introspective and soulfull lyrics. Often the quality of the music would overpower his quiet, dark lyrics. Smith was an artist I would cite as an influence, if I ever make it musically. He will be sorely missed.

Rest in Peace, Elliot

august 6, 1969 - october 21, 2003

|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com Is my Blog HOT or NOT?